A man who was shot early Friday outside SUITE Club near the St. Johns Town Center has died. The man was shot and rushed to the hospital to be treated. According to JSO, a fight started just after 2am Friday in the parking lot following an 18 and over party. Off-duty police officers in the area were able to make a quick arrest. Detectives were speaking with witnesses in the hours after the shooting. Through the day we’ll be working to update charges the suspect will be facing.
A Texas teen who went missing last week while visiting Colorado with her family was found about 300 miles away after she hopped on a coal train bound for the Lone Star State, Colorado Springs police said Wednesday. >> Read more trending news Adalie Rivera, of Lubbock, Texas, vanished on the morning of March 17 after leaving the Quality Inn Colorado Springs Airport hotel room that she was sharing with her family. Police said she got onto a coal train in the Colorado Springs metropolitan area and traveled to a farm community near Dumas, Texas, about two hours north of Lubbock. “She actually got out of the coal car because she ran out of Skittles and she was hungry, so bless her heart,” Colorado Springs police Lt. Howard Black told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. A farmer on Tuesday found Adalie covered in coal dust and notified the Moore County Sheriff’s Department. Deputies took custody of Adalie until her family could get her. She was found safe, despite being missing for about four days, police said. Authorities don’t expect to file any charges in the disappearance.
The man accused of killing a woman whose body was found at his Southside home waived his right to a speedy trial. Russell Tillis is charged with the murder of 31-year-old Joni Gunter. Police found her dismembered body on his property, known as a 'house of horrors.' The property has been sold, but neighbors say there are still problems there. “We got people that come by just to pick some things for souvenirs because it’s the 'house of horrors,'” David Eichenlaub said. >> Read more trending news Eichenlaub said neighbors called the mayor’s office and Gov. Rick Scott. On Wednesday, they finally started to see some action taken. “We’re just glad it’s getting cleaned up. It needs to be cleaned up,” Eichenlaub said. He said the worst part was that people would party in a trailer on the property at night and it smells like chemicals. We reached out to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, where a spokesperson said there have been six calls for service to the address since the first of this year, four calls for property checks and two for suspicious people. “I have to run them off all the time,” Eichenlaub said. We also reached out to the city, which said the current owner was cited by code enforcement on Feb. 8 for garbage and debris on the property. The city said since the owner didn’t follow through with the cleanup, the city stepped in to clean it, and the owner is responsible for the cost. We called the owner of the property, who said she did hire someone to clean up the property but they didn’t realize just how big a project this was. She said she has been in contact with the city and agreed to them cleaning it up.
Burger King officials said Tuesday that the company plans to stop buying chickens from farms that grossly mistreat the animals,CNN reported. >> Read more trending news By 2024, the fast-food chain said it plans to buy only chickens raised according to welfare standards established by the animal advocacy group Global Animal Partnership. 'Chickens raised for meat, also known as 'broilers,' are among the most abused animals on the planet,' GAP said in a joint statement. 'They are bred to grow so unnaturally fast that they are often crippled under their own weight. Many suffer from constant leg pain so severe they cannot stand, and so spend nearly all their time sitting in their own waste.' Burger King’s action follows similar commitments made in recent years by companies including Chipotle, Red Robin, Quiznos, Panera Bread and Starbucks, CNN reported. According to the organization's website, GAP-certified farmers must provide birds with access to light and keep their barn living conditions cleaner. The chickens also must be rendered unconscious before they are slaughtered to minimize pain.
A 696-acre wildfire in Nassau County is 65 percent contained, according to the Florida Forest Service on Thursday. >> Read more trending news Firefighters have been working since Wednesday on a wildfire in Bryceville, Florida, that was accidentally started by someone illegally burning paperback books, officials said. Officials said two homes were destroyed as well as sheds and vehicles. Ten homes were reported as having some damage. The Florida Forest Service said they identified the person who started the fire and that person will be financially responsible for damages. There might be some challenges in extinguishing the fire since strong winds are expected Thursday afternoon, officials said. Firefighters said that 150 people are displaced and an evacuation order is still in place. A shelter is open at Bryceville Baptist Church for anyone who was displaced by the fire. The Florida Forest Service said this is the worst massive wildfire for the county since 1998. Firefighters were working early Thursday morning to contain the fire along the eastern edges of the fire line. The fire department has been putting out hot spots around houses. Officials said the area is not safe for residents since a lot of power lines have been damaged during the fire. Road closures are in effect at several locations. Crews from Georgia arrived to assist local firefighters on Thursday. The fairgrounds are open for residents who need to shelter livestock and animals.
While President Donald Trump’s choice of Lt. Gen. H.R. McMaster to be his National Security Advisor has drawn praise from both political parties, the Trump Administration will have to jump over one more hurdle to put McMaster in that job on a permanent basis, because as a high-ranking military officer, he actually needs the Senate to sign off on his job change.
Normally, the position of National Security Advisor – more technically known as “Assistant to the President for National Security Affairs” – does not require Senate confirmation.
But, because President Trump picked an active duty officer who is a three or four-star general, that person must have the Senate vote on a new assignment (that is required by section 601 of Title 10 of the United States Code).
Currently, Gen. McMaster is head of what’s known as the Army Capabilities Integration Center – so, he would need a vote by the Senate to transfer his job responsibilities to the White House.
#McMaster doesn't need Senate vote to be #NSA but he does to change jobs as active duty three-star. Good thing the #SASC recommended him!
There are other options – McMaster could temporarily take a reduction in rank down to a two-star General, or, he could leave active duty status in the military.
Brent Scowcroft took that last option – retirement – in order to be the National Security Advisor to President Gerald Ford.
Colin Powell was one who decided to stay on active duty, and the Senate in December of 1987 voted to approve his nomination – but there were some who wondered whether that was a good idea.
“Assignment of a military officer to this senior, sensitive position also raises serious questions about civilian control of the military,” said Sen. Sam Nunn (D-GA) on the Senate floor. “The Assistant to the President for National Security often enjoys greater access to the President on a day-to-day basis than the senior civilian leadership in the Pentagon.”
During that debate, Nunn also floated the idea of passing a law to prohibit active duty officers from serving in that position in the future – in fact, that was the recommendation at the time of the House-Senate investigation into the Iran-Contra Affair, which led lawmakers to worry about oversight for that position.
“The committees recommend that Presidents adopt as a matter of policy the principle that the national security adviser to the President of Unites States should not be an active military officer and that there should be a limit placed on the tour of military officers assigned to the staff of the National Security Council,” the Congressional report stated in 1987.
Sen. Tom Harkin (D-IA) had introduced a bill to require Senate confirmation, but that effort never gained legislative traction in 1988.
Fast forward almost 30 years later, and the Senate is being called on again to confirm a high-ranking military officer to the job of National Security Advisor.
Colin Powell was approved on a voice vote, and McMaster seems likely to gain easy approval as well, but there could still be echoes of Nunn and others in the 2017 version of that debate.
No vote was needed on the President’s first choice for National Security Advisor, retired Gen. Michael Flynn. He was no longer serving in the military when selected.
Jamie Dupree is the Radio News Director of the Washington Bureau of the Cox Media Group and writes the Washington Insider blog.
A native of Washington, D.C., Jamie has covered Congress and politics in the nation’s capital since the Reagan Administration, and has been reporting for Cox since 1989.