A man who was shot early Friday outside SUITE Club near the St. Johns Town Center has died. The man was shot and rushed to the hospital to be treated. According to JSO, a fight started just after 2am Friday in the parking lot following an 18 and over party. Off-duty police officers in the area were able to make a quick arrest. Detectives were speaking with witnesses in the hours after the shooting. Through the day we’ll be working to update charges the suspect will be facing.
A Texas teen who went missing last week while visiting Colorado with her family was found about 300 miles away after she hopped on a coal train bound for the Lone Star State, Colorado Springs police said Wednesday. >> Read more trending news Adalie Rivera, of Lubbock, Texas, vanished on the morning of March 17 after leaving the Quality Inn Colorado Springs Airport hotel room that she was sharing with her family. Police said she got onto a coal train in the Colorado Springs metropolitan area and traveled to a farm community near Dumas, Texas, about two hours north of Lubbock. “She actually got out of the coal car because she ran out of Skittles and she was hungry, so bless her heart,” Colorado Springs police Lt. Howard Black told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. A farmer on Tuesday found Adalie covered in coal dust and notified the Moore County Sheriff’s Department. Deputies took custody of Adalie until her family could get her. She was found safe, despite being missing for about four days, police said. Authorities don’t expect to file any charges in the disappearance.
The man accused of killing a woman whose body was found at his Southside home waived his right to a speedy trial. Russell Tillis is charged with the murder of 31-year-old Joni Gunter. Police found her dismembered body on his property, known as a 'house of horrors.' The property has been sold, but neighbors say there are still problems there. “We got people that come by just to pick some things for souvenirs because it’s the 'house of horrors,'” David Eichenlaub said. >> Read more trending news Eichenlaub said neighbors called the mayor’s office and Gov. Rick Scott. On Wednesday, they finally started to see some action taken. “We’re just glad it’s getting cleaned up. It needs to be cleaned up,” Eichenlaub said. He said the worst part was that people would party in a trailer on the property at night and it smells like chemicals. We reached out to the Jacksonville Sheriff's Office, where a spokesperson said there have been six calls for service to the address since the first of this year, four calls for property checks and two for suspicious people. “I have to run them off all the time,” Eichenlaub said. We also reached out to the city, which said the current owner was cited by code enforcement on Feb. 8 for garbage and debris on the property. The city said since the owner didn’t follow through with the cleanup, the city stepped in to clean it, and the owner is responsible for the cost. We called the owner of the property, who said she did hire someone to clean up the property but they didn’t realize just how big a project this was. She said she has been in contact with the city and agreed to them cleaning it up.
Burger King officials said Tuesday that the company plans to stop buying chickens from farms that grossly mistreat the animals,CNN reported. >> Read more trending news By 2024, the fast-food chain said it plans to buy only chickens raised according to welfare standards established by the animal advocacy group Global Animal Partnership. 'Chickens raised for meat, also known as 'broilers,' are among the most abused animals on the planet,' GAP said in a joint statement. 'They are bred to grow so unnaturally fast that they are often crippled under their own weight. Many suffer from constant leg pain so severe they cannot stand, and so spend nearly all their time sitting in their own waste.' Burger King’s action follows similar commitments made in recent years by companies including Chipotle, Red Robin, Quiznos, Panera Bread and Starbucks, CNN reported. According to the organization's website, GAP-certified farmers must provide birds with access to light and keep their barn living conditions cleaner. The chickens also must be rendered unconscious before they are slaughtered to minimize pain.
A 696-acre wildfire in Nassau County is 65 percent contained, according to the Florida Forest Service on Thursday. >> Read more trending news Firefighters have been working since Wednesday on a wildfire in Bryceville, Florida, that was accidentally started by someone illegally burning paperback books, officials said. Officials said two homes were destroyed as well as sheds and vehicles. Ten homes were reported as having some damage. The Florida Forest Service said they identified the person who started the fire and that person will be financially responsible for damages. There might be some challenges in extinguishing the fire since strong winds are expected Thursday afternoon, officials said. Firefighters said that 150 people are displaced and an evacuation order is still in place. A shelter is open at Bryceville Baptist Church for anyone who was displaced by the fire. The Florida Forest Service said this is the worst massive wildfire for the county since 1998. Firefighters were working early Thursday morning to contain the fire along the eastern edges of the fire line. The fire department has been putting out hot spots around houses. Officials said the area is not safe for residents since a lot of power lines have been damaged during the fire. Road closures are in effect at several locations. Crews from Georgia arrived to assist local firefighters on Thursday. The fairgrounds are open for residents who need to shelter livestock and animals.
The Trump Administration on Monday suffered two more legal setbacks on President Donald Trump’s plan to slow refugee admissions, as well as visits from seven different Muslim-majority countries, as despite concerns voiced by Mr. Trump about the need to swiftly address terrorism threats to the U.S. coming from refugees and immigrants, the White House was in no legal rush to appeal the matter to the U.S. Supreme Court.
Here’s the latest on where the legal and political fights stands over the President’s executive order on immigration:
1. No appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court. Despite some talk last week about the Trump Administration taking this issue right to the Supreme Court, that does not seem to be in the cards as of now. In fact, there was no obvious sense of urgency from the Justice Department on the immigration matter, as lawyers for the Trump Administration said they wanted to wait and see whether the full Ninth Circuit would get involved in the issue of whether a federal judge could put the Trump immigration order on hold or not.
NEW – No appeal to Supreme Court by feds on Trump immigration order – waiting instead on a possible hearing before the full Ninth Circuit
2. Federal judge rebuffs Justice Department request. It didn’t take long for Judge James Robart, the Seattle-based judge who put the Trump immigration order on hold in the first place, to reject a Justice Department request to delay legal proceedings on the merits of the case, while waiting for action by the Ninth Circuit on whether the implementation of the order should be delayed. Judge Robart pointedly told Justice Department lawyers, “I’m not prepared to slow this down,” as he said he was surprised at the President’s Twitter declaration that he would “see you in court.”
Pleased to see Judge Robart reject Trump Administration's request to delay. We will, indeed, see you in court.
3. Federal judge in Virginia joins rulings against Trump. Three days after hearing arguments about the President’s travel ban, Judge Leona Brinkema granted a preliminary injunction against that order, but limited its impact only to the state of Virginia – not nationally. Brinkema’s 22 page ruling found that the Trump Administration had offered no evidence to back up its arguments for the executive order, and she scoffed at the notion that the courts could not review what the President was undertaking. “Maximum power does not mean absolute power,” Brinkema wrote in her ruling.
4. Trump says nothing about an appeal or new immigration order. Last Friday, President Trump told reporters to expect an announcement in coming days on new efforts to deal with the threat of terrorism from refugees and others visiting the United States. But when he brought up the issue at a joint news conference with the Canadian Prime Minister at the White House, the President shed no light on what – if anything – might be rolled out to either revise or change the original executive order. And Mr. Trump said nothing about further legal challenges, either.
Asked a question about Syrian refugees, Trump wrapped up by touting his "very, very large electoral college vote"
Jamie Dupree is the Radio News Director of the Washington Bureau of the Cox Media Group and writes the Washington Insider blog.
A native of Washington, D.C., Jamie has covered Congress and politics in the nation’s capital since the Reagan Administration, and has been reporting for Cox since 1989.